“We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they’re called memories. Some take us forward, they’re called dreams.” -Jeremy Irons
2009 has come and gone in a blur. In this past year I turned 27 and learned that this is the age I’m truly feeling old and “adult” for the first time. I’ve settled down much more, I enjoy being home, and a movie night or get-together at a friend’s house often sounds more appealing than a night at the bar. In 2009, I finally made my much-anticipated trip to Italy, which in turn has completely changed my priorities, passions, and released the addictive travel bug in me. I started really learning Spanish (polishing off some of my old high school Spanish) and continued to be an avid travel blog reader and book junkie. I still live in the same apartment, have the same job, and live in the same city.
So…what were some of my favorites in 2009?
Favorite books read in 2009
- “An Italian Affair” by Laura Frasier – This book captured everything I love about Italy, traveling, European men, and California.
- The Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris – These are the books the show True Blood is based on. I can’t decide which I like better the show or the books. Both are fantastic. I’ve become a fan girl.
- “Pride & Prejudice” by Jane Austen – Long overdue reading this and it is worthy of the praise it receives.
- “Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette” by Sena Jeter Naslund – Wonderful story told from the perspective of Marie herself.
- “The Memoirs of Cleopatra” by Margaret George – She is my favorite author for a reason!
- Vicky Cristina Barcelona – I could relate big time to Cristina. This flick is a great depiction of human nature and love, plus it is filmed in Spain…which I love.
- Public Enemies – good flick. Johnny Depp did a great job.
- The Edge of Love – random “artsy” flick I insta-viewed on Netflix. I really ‘get’ the characters somehow. Relationships are never black and white, both romantic and friendly ones.
- True Blood – I don’t think I have ever loved a show as much as I love this vampire goodness. Keep Twilight…just give me Eric and Bill.
- The Office – Michael’s awkwardness seems to never peak and how can you not love Jim and Pam.
- Gossip Girl – Still, my ultimate guilty pleasure
- The Tudors – King Henry VIII and his scandalous court. Season III and going strong. Poor Jane Seymour.
- So You Think You Can Dance – The dancers get better and better every year, plus they are letting my new favorite choreographer, Sonya, participate more.
Music Most Played in iPod
- Damien Rice – “Cannonball” and “The Blower’s Daughter” – I fell in love with this artist after hearing these.
- Justin Nozuka – “After Tonight” – love the acoustic guitar and the way he really gets into the song!
- Ray LaMontagne – “Trouble” , “Let It Be Me” and “Hold You In My Arms” – I adore his vocals and again..the acoustic sound.
- The Ting Tings – “That’s Not My Name” – catchy little song that I can’t sit still too.
- John Mayer – “Gravity” , “I’m Gonna Find Another You” , and “Slow Dancing in a Burning Room” – melt.
- Juan Serrano – “Gorrion” – Spanish guitar…transports me somewhere else.
- Ingrid Michaelson – “Empty Bottle” – Brilliant song. Lovely vocals, but not obvious. The nuances and instruments seal the deal. Piano, strings, bass guitar…what more could one need?
- A Fine Frenzy – “Almost Lover” – beautiful vocals and piano.
- Kid Cudi – “Day N Nite (Crookers Remix)” – this song immediately pumps me up. It was my go to song often in Europe.
- Florence & the Machine – “Bird Song” – this song makes me smile because it makes me want to do this crazy dance. I love the up tempos and sudden down tempos. Add to that, the fact I hate birds and in this song the bird gets his due. Genius.